think planet. live local.
thegreenrock.ca developed the Community Threads project to recognize and highlight community organizations’ efforts that support collaboration, wellness and sustainability.
The project is designed to share the news that smart people and great organizations are working toward sustainable living in this province. There are many! The Community Sector Council (CSC) is committed to strengthening and promoting the essential role that voluntary and nonprofit, community organizations play in building healthy and prosperous communities.
The CSC site reports “there more than 5,000 nonprofit, community groups in Newfoundland and Labrador. Around 2,400 are formally registered nonprofits and about 1,100 are registered charities. Some are informal groups. The Avalon Peninsula is home to about 40% of the community groups while the remaining 60% are located in other areas the province.”
Support from the Wellness Coalition Avalon East kickstarted Community Threads. The data gathering begins with a questionnaire for community groups . Groups with a focus on sustainability are invited to complete the form below and be included in the Community Threads project, and counted among the many who are working to make a difference! With permission from the respondent, responses will be published on thegreenrock.ca under Projects. The project was launched the Suncor Fluvarium’s Earth Day Fair on April 13.